Wednesday, June 16, 2010

2 weeks, 1 day...a stinking plateau

When I was young, there was a show on television called Bewitched. There were numerous outlandish characters on the show; some with magical powers and others without. My favorite character was always Aunt Clara. She had a good heart, but was such a bumbling witch that most things she attempted ended up as disasters. I don't really remember much of the plots that the episodes followed, but I do remember wishing I could twitch my nose and instantly clean up a room. More than at any other time, that little trick would come in so handy right now.
As I sit here, wishing I was either getting my strength back more quickly OR had Samantha's nose, I can think of a million things that need to be done. The thing that is most frustrating about my list of a million things, is that I seem to be the only person that is aware of the list or is even feeling pressured by the seemingly insurmountable tasks that remain piled up. Don't get me wrong, there are many things I am very grateful for. I am thankful that my parents are enjoying relatively good health right now. I am thankful that Ryan is back on the oil rig. I am thankful that Becca has healed nicely and is back to her usual, busy, and flamboyant self. I am thankful that Scott has been able to do such a beautiful job on Leslie's house and has his interview with TFD on Thursday. I am thankful that Leslie and the girls stop by almost every day. I am thankful that Ron has been able to go back to work and feels confident enough to leave me alone at home. I am SUPER thankful that those blasted staples came out yesterday. I am thankful that, for the most part, I am off the walker. I am thankful that I usually get through each day now with just a few Motrin. I am thankful that there are things that I can do that keep my hands relatively busy.
Right now I just have to keep telling myself that if I am diligent with my therapy, this plateau in the recovery process will pass. I know that my expectations for this body of mine might be a little unrealistic due to the nature of the surgery. I guess I will just have to accept that this is an opportunity for me to develop more patience and learn to endure things that I cannot change with a more cheerful heart and the hope that things will eventually work out.
But, that being said; I still wish I had Samantha's twitchin' nose!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Funny you mention Bewitched. I have been watching it a lot when my mom is napping. If you find one, I want one of those noses too, please. Glad you are feeling good and counting those blessings. This too shall pass and you will be running like a mad-woman in a short time (and feeling great).

The Monkeys said...

Hey and more time for blogging! That's always something to be thankful for.