Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A horrible day; a wonderful day...

You never know when a perfect day can go so horribly wrong.  During the afternoon, my students were busy working their way through center rotations as I pulled students for writers workshop. The room was filled with the busy movement and sound associated with 22 engaged learners and I sat quietly observing it all.  Unexpectedly, one of my parents entered the room.  I knew immediately from the expression on her face that something was wrong.  I have a secluded area behind my desk where I am able to have private conversations with my students so I left my seat and guided this parent to that area.  I was right; something was terribly wrong. A loved one had lost his life today in Afghanistan.  My heart breaks every time I hear of the death of another brave soldier and see the pain on the faces of those closely effected.  If only our government leaders could spend their days watching the struggles the youngest victims of these wars face, maybe they would manage to find a way to bring our soldiers home with dignity and let them be parents.  
On a brighter, happier note, Leslie called this evening to let me know that she and G are expecting their second child.  They have been trying for a while now and she is super excited.  I know Ryan and Scott will be thrilled when they hear the news.  They suffered through her last pregnancy with her and have a special fondness for Maggie.  This new little one will certainly have 2 doting uncles.

2 comments:

Sarah Harward said...

How exciting for Leslie! I guess I need to have this baby early so I can ship the maternity clothes back her way! Between me, Amanda and Leslie, we should buy stock (maybe not) in the US postal service with all the shipping of maternity clothes! I'm so happy for her! Please pass it on.

Becca Castello said...

Um....hello? WHat about a doting Aunt?