Thursday, January 28, 2010

New hip...new possibilities!


During my second pregnancy, I started having a lot of trouble with my left hip.  There were times when it would buckle, my range of motions started to decrease, and cold weather really brought out the discomfort.  With each pregnancy, AND advancing age, the hip continued to deteriorate. In 2007, the hip was starting to have an impact on the quality of my life. Around this time, 2 people VERY dear to me (Barbara Becker and my mother, Shirley) were having joints replaced. Brave Barbara had both knees done at one time and Mom had one hip replaced. Both of them said it was the best decision they had ever made.  They encouraged me to not put my own surgery off.  I was mostly concerned that the doctor might say I was too young to consider that route, but when we got back from our last cross country trip, I knew I couldn't put it off any longer.  I went to see my family doctor during the Christmas break.  When I brought the subject up, she said age shouldn't even be considered with deciding on hip replacement. She gave me a referral to an orthopedic surgeon and I saw him yesterday.  Good news is; I will be back to normal by August.  Bad news is, I have to wait until June for surgery. 

No comments: