Saturday, August 6, 2011

It has been a wonderful summer...

The summer is coming to an end.  In just over a week, I go back to work.  Honestly, I am looking forward to getting back to work again.  I feel like I have accomplished most of the things I intended to do and can go back to work feeling refreshed and refueled.  
Our trip to Alaska was the highlight of a lifetime.  But, before and after we left, I managed to get so many things done.
I discovered 2 new authors:  Michael Scott and Sara Rosett.  Michael Scott writes fantasy novels that are geared toward young adults, so they are profanity & sex free!  
Sara Rosett is an air force wife who writes fun and easy mystery novels.  The kind you can read in a day, or a few pages at a time and draw it out over a period of time.  It isn't deep or profound enough to forget any major plot twists.  
I made Mrs. Doubtfire; my dressmaker dummy.  That was an experience in itself!  Leslie came over and wrapped me in duct tape, cut it off of me, and helped me get her stuffed and mounted.  She is a little lumpy where the duct tape wrinkled, but she serves the purpose.  It is amazing how much easier it is to fit a garment!
I raided craft blogs and made some cute things for the house.  I found the fire crackers on ucreate, and the wooden plaque on justanotherhangup.  I know I should make hot links for those to truly give credit where credit is due, but I am in a hurry to get this blog done before midnight.

I spent lots of time sewing.  I made table runners for Valentine's day for the girls and myself.  I neglected to get pictures of the girls' runners; but, they are the same pattern as mine.  Becca's is pink and brown, and Leslie's is pink and mint green.  I used a couple of Charms packs & some coordinating fabric.  The Charms squares were perfect for the bow tie block.  They went together in a flash!
I also threw together some orphan blocks and made a throw sized quilt for Scott.  I also managed to get some more quilts for Mom done in the long arm, and hope to get at least one more finished before school starts.
In addition to the granddaughters' quiet books, I made some quilted coasters for myself and some of the women from church that I visit teach.  One of the ladies in the quilting bee that "adopts" me during the summer, taught me how to make these.  I can't wait to make some for each season.

And last but not least, I got to spend time with the most wonderful family on Earth... 
 watching the Round Rock Express...
 playing at the park...
and having family gatherings.  
I still have a few things I am working on, and hope to finish them before the school year begins.  But, even if I don't get around to them, it is nice to know that I feel so much better this year.  Knowing that keeps me hopeful that I will manage to be more organized and creative throughout the year.

1 comment:

The Monkeys said...

Wow- you did a bunch of stuff! The quilts look great!