Friday, December 4, 2020

Pandemic 2020 Fall and Winter - Making the Best of Things

 Ordinarily, our family will gather together several times during the fall and winter months. We would ooo and ahh over the grandchildren's new Halloween costumes and Trick or Treat at one of the their neighborhoods. We would support our Church's Trunk or Treat, and maybe participate in a Chili Cook-off. Leslie and I would set up the Etsy shop at a Sami Show. We would plan around school and work schedules to make the 8 hour trek to Palo Duro Canyon State Park for days spent hiking the canyons and evening gathered around the camp fire. We would either have our Thanksgiving meal at the Canyon; or, we would meet at someone's house and gorge on delicious food, play silly games, and plan our Black Friday shopping spree. Christmas would, once again, be scheduled around school, work, and our in-law's family celebrations. And, somewhere amidst the hustle and bustle, we would squeeze in a cruise. 

This year, the COVID-19 pandemic had us avoiding family gatherings, canceling our cruise and camping trip, canceling the Sami Show, practicing social distancing, participating self-quarantine, doing extensive hand washing and house sanitizing daily, taking advantage of grocery pick up, and attending church services online. 

The hardest part is not spending time with family. We haven't gathered together as a family since Jamie hosted a toned down Christmas in July. Life for each unit of the family is very different this year. The grands, even Seth, are trying to complete school assignments in either totally virtual, in-class, or hybrid models of instruction. Ron and I are still working hard to make life style changes that will help him extend his life after being diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure and pretty much turning into hermits. Jamie is working from home exclusively while trying to keep her mother from sneaking out to play Bingo or go shopping. Ryan wasn't given a new contract at his old school, so he has completing his Honey-do list, helping with the twins in school, and searching for a middle school teaching assignment.  (Which he found; 8th grade math! Yay!!) The twins are in the virtual format for school and seem to be thriving. Molly is working for the state from home and trying to get to Georgetown often to visit with her parents. Scott is still healthy; but, the fire department shifts are starting to feel the effects of the COVID virus and are beginning to be undermanned.  Plus, the two of them are trying to figure out how to have a wedding with all of the crazy pandemic precautions. Seth is adjusting to living on his own in Waco, working at Dick's Sporting Goods, and going to school to complete his welding certification. Rebecca is trying to move on in life; but, having a terrible time tracking down her husband and getting divorce papers served. Leslie is trying to figure out how to provide speech services to a mixed bag of students who are constantly switching from face to face instruction, virtual instruction, or on quarantine. Gerson has taken a new position with a different HR company; which, luckily, is closer to home. But, because they both have to work on site,  they are trying to support their girls in virtual classes. Life is challenging. And, missing family stinks!!

I've been saying the same thing that I have heard many friends say: "The year 2020 just needs to end!" Sadly, I do not believe the end of 2020 will actually end the pandemic. I am hopeful that it will begin to have closure sometime in 2021; but, I totally expect another major world-wide event to rock our lives. After all, these are the end of times.  However, the end of 2020 brings the Christmas season. Many, many people feel the same way I do: WE NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS! RIGHT THIS VERY MINUTE!

Throughout our new neighborhood, people started hanging holiday decorations in early November. Ordinarily, I would think that's insane. But, not this year! I would have been right there with them if we still had any Christmas decorations. When we downsized to the RV, I either gave most of our decorations to the kids; or, sold it in a yard sale. Because I wanted to bring the Spirit of Christmas into our home, I decided to actually buy a tree.

My collection of ornaments fits in a gallon zip lock bag. I really didn't want to buy a bunch of new ornaments; so, I found a pre-lit, slim tree with pine cones and holly berries, on Amazon. It wasn't supposed to be in until the 14th. But, I think God knew I needed it sooner. It arrive on the first. I spent a few days working on decorating the living room and kitchen area. Our townhouse is small and I didn't want to overwhelm the place. I really love the minimalist life style. Plus, everything we own now has personal meaning to it. Here are some pictures I took this morning, just for the blog. 


The tree sits in front of the living room window. Which, makes it really hard to get a good picture. It is 6 1/2 feet tall and no wider than a pizza pan. The ornaments are mostly the hand carved Santa heads, and a few hand made ornaments from my Mother and Grandmother. Leslie had a few extra wooden Christmas trees and bells, that she gave me. They fill ups some empty space and look nice on the tree. 

I found a couple of $10 pillows on sale at Target. They were bright and festive, so I caved in and bought them for the side chairs. 

The last few years that we lived in the house, I collected the pieces for the Willow Tree Nativity. We don't have room for the entire set, so I used some of Dad's carved boxes and set up the important pieces on the side table in the living room.

I gave my Pete Jr. cookie jar a cute bow to put him in the Christmas spirit.

We have always had a long, rectangular table. But, that's in Leslie's house now. We bought this small, square table when we moved into the townhouse. I bought a clearance table runner at Hobby Lobby and used some fabric to turn it into 4 place mats. Dad's carved trivet sits in the middle of the table. 

I have had this cute little guy for YEARS! Mom and Dad used to have an arts and crafts wood working business. It was one of the things they would have sold; but, Mom gave it to me for Christmas one year. One of his antlers broke of somewhere along the line; but, I hang him every year to remind me of my parents. 

This is one of the carved ornaments that Dad gave me. 

This cute little wooden ornament was in a craft kit that my Grandma Veach bought when I was young.  She gave it to me when Ron and I got married. I can still remember her saying, "Gwendy. This is for your first tree. I think of you and Ron when I see it."

Dad also carven some odd things from time to time. One year he gave me this enormous carved spoon.  At the time I thought, "Man! This thing is UGLY! But, now that he is gone, I'm sure glad I have it. 


I'm not really sure what our family Christmas celebration will be like this year. I hope there is some family time; but, if not, at least our snug little home feels like Christmas. I will focus on my Savior, enjoy the beauty of my sentimental tree, reflect on happy memories, and pray for a brighter future. 

No comments: