Monday, April 27, 2020

Etsy Shop and Our First Sami Show 2019

I had previously blogged about possibly starting a business to use up the abundance of fabric that my mother left me when she passed away a few years ago.  It has been a while since my daughter and I actually opened our little shop.  We feel like we have been somewhat successful and our reviews are wonderful. The shop is called, Isn't It Lovely Crafts. Here is a screen shot of what you see when you visit us on Etsy.


My daughter, Leslie, is my partner and she takes care of all the online postings, shipping, and our bank account. I simply get to sew. I think I have the better deal in the partnership. While I've been cranking out items to sell, I've seen such a change in my sewing and quilting abilities. It has been enjoyable so far and as long as it doesn't start to feel like a "job" we will continue. Our intent is to save all we make (other than covering expenses) and use it to pay for a portion of the family cruise we will take sometime in the summer of 2022. Who knows if we will continue after that. 

Anyway, I haven't been very good about putting pictures of some of our merchandise on the blog. I usually post it on Facebook, with the intent of updating the blog at some point. I just seem to procrastinate when it comes to getting posts on here. As a result, I no longer have pictures of most things that we have posted in the shop. Maybe as I dig through files, I'll find more to add. For now, here are some of the pictures I do have. 
























When we started the business, we agreed that we would only do online sales. We didn't want to get trapped into making deliveries or having pick-ups at homes. I wanted to keep it as impersonal as I could. That meant having to tell friends that the only way they could buy our items was through the shop. Most have been really understanding and have actually done exactly that. But, as expected, others never bought anything. And that's quite alright with us. 

Maggie and Sophie helping out at the Sami Show.

Selma Mason; one of many good friends that stopped
by our booth. 





In order to build up a customer base, we decided to try our luck with a Sami Show. Sami Shows are craft shows held at large venues that provide small businesses another outlet for their products. Most are resale of mass produced items; but, there are still quite a few hand made vendors. My parents had sold wood crafts at Sami Shows for years and really enjoyed them. We did a show in November, just before Christmas. The merchandise we sold was seasonal; mostly fall and Christmas table runners, ornaments, and mug rugs. My son, Scott, also made some beautiful cutting boards that sold really well. The grands, Maggie and Sophie, made several velvet scrunchies that people snatched up like hot cakes. At the end of the weekend, we had made enough to cover our booth rental, the expenses associated with making our back drop, money for lunch, and a little extra to pay Bell County sales tax. So all in all; we broke even. But, our online traffic increased because of the numerous business cards that we passed out. It was an enjoyable experience because 2 of the grandkids helped out and we got to see lots of old friends. We may sign up for one a year as long as we break even, just because of the increase in online sales and the enjoyable experience. 

No comments: