Friday, October 28, 2011

This one is for Erin...

There is a talented, young teacher at my school who has been reading my blog.  She stopped me today at recess and told me that my post about the frustrations associated with the job had caused her to lose hope.  I  didn't quite know what she meant, but she said, "If someone with the experience that you have still feels like that, I won't ever get to the point where I don't feel frustrated!" I felt horrible! But, she was telling me this as I was standing holding several rocks, a flower, and had my pockets stuffed with acorns.  I told her that those moment will continue to happen, but that they do pass.  Especially when you walk outside for recess and those sweet little children run to greet you with their treasures that have been gathered at recess.
We chatted for a few moments about how lucky I felt to have been a stay at home mother while my children were growing up. Erin is a newlywed, and I told her that when I look at her and other young women starting out in this profession, I marvel at how they are able to keep pace with the job and raise their own families.  It is a tough profession, but the rewards are priceless.
So, Erin, remember that those moments of frustration become insignificant when you start watching the children who have passed through your classroom grow into delightful young adults.  All of the fleeting hugs, smiles, shared joys and sorrows, countless hand drawn pictures, little thoughtful gifts, and grateful parents are the balm for a stressed out teacher's soul.  Hang in there, it is worth it!

No comments: