Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Tee Shirt Quilts

 Ryan and Jamie are getting ready to relocate to Connecticut. During their purging, the gathered up assorted shirts and nightgowns to be used in quilts. These are the end result. 

The first 3 pictures are of the twins’ elementary school shirts.  I tried something new with them. Instead of the traditional quilt sandwich, using batting, backing, and the top; I used a fleece blanket to back the shirts. The blanket was plush enough that batting wasn’t needed. They ended up super cuddly.




Ryan had a bunch of cruise shirts in colors that are very tropical. I used pieces of the backs for a scrappy border. I really like this color pallet.



Of course, Ryan also had a ton of Ohio State and Star Wars shirts. There weren’t quite enough to make a quilt that was decent sized without using blank squares from the backs. Luckily, Ron donated a few of his. I had enough that I was able piece the backing with the shirt backs. There is a pretty cool Star Wars block at the bottom.


Jamie had a ton of Disney nightgowns that she had bought the girls over the years. They were various sizes which made setting them up a bit of a challenge. The fabric was also pretty stretchy compared to the tee shirts. Not fun to sew at all! There were also some Peter Pan tee shirts that made up into a cute little lap quilt. 





Hopefully, the quilts will bring back lots if happy memories for their family. They aren’t my most enjoyable type of quilt to make; but, knowing they will be loved makes me happy.


No comments: