Saturday, June 17, 2023

Quilting goal 2023: decrease the fat quarter stash!

 When I first started quilting, I would often go shopping at local quilt shops with Mom. There were always too many beautiful fabrics to choose from. When I told her I couldn’t decided what to buy, she said,  “Just buy a fat quarter bundle. You can always use fat quarters!” 

Well, now that I have followed her advice for over 10 years; AND, I have added her fat quarter stash to mine… I have been drowning in FAT QUARTERS, 

My quilting goal this year is to use up as much of the fat quarter stash as I can. Here is what I have accomplished so far.

A couple of these were baby quilts made with fabric specifically purchased for the project. And, 2 of them were made with orphan blocks and fat quarters. Some are beautiful… some are just plain ugly. But, I have emptied 3 boxes of fat quarters! And, I still have 6 months left in the year!


This one was made using a J. Michell Watts bundle that I won on my Alaskan quilt cruise.

This is a baby quilt I made for my nephew Christopher’s first baby. 

I used the pattern, Yellow Brick Road for this one. Not a pattern I expect to use again.


I made several color variations of Debbie Maddy’s Carpenter Star. I love this pattern.

This quilt was one Mom had made when she first started quilting. It wasn’t sewn together correctly and I ended up picking apart the blocks and sewing it back together. I am not sure it is what it was supposed to look like because I couldn’t find the pattern in Mom’s books. But, it looks better than it did! 

One of two that I used orphan blocks and fat quarters in.

This one is made of a fabric line called Civil War prints. The blocks are from a book that was published simultaneously.  They are a little dark for my taste.

A second baby quilt made from flannel, specifically purchased for this quilt.

A quick and easy free patten I found on a blog called, “ Just Another Hang Up.” My daughter-in-law, Jamie, bought the fat quarters for me after finding them on clearance at Wal-Mart. 

It could be my color choice; but, it might just be a horrible pattern. It is called “Turning Twenty” but I couldn’t stand working with it so only used 10 fat quarters.

Another color variation using Carpenter’s Star.

I really like this one! I used a free pattern I found on Pinterest. Sadly, I forgot to “ pin” the pattern and can’t find it now! 

Another orphan block quilt.

Here is a sneak peak at the next quilt. It is called Nickel Quilt because each square is 5 inches. I have the center sewn together. I am just working out the placement of the piano key border and then 
I will get it sewn together. The hubby, Ron, is not a fan of this one. I have to say… it is growing on me. 




No comments: