Thursday, September 12, 2019

Sturgis, South Dakota

My baby brother, David, is a Harley rider. As a matter of fact, the one and only time I've ridden a motorcycle was when he took me for a ride on one of his bikes. I really can't think of a time when Dave HASN'T had a motorcycle. Now that he's older, he struggles with the the decision to hang up his leathers and sell the bikes. I really can't imagine him without one; but, age, skin cancer, free time... but mostly age, are giving him reasons to sell. Frankly, I hope he hangs on to his bikes forever because they are such a part of who he is. 
He and his wife had been to Sturgis for the motorcycle rally; and, I got to hear all about it. Quite honestly, it sounds like a nightmare to me! But, since we were in the area; and, Ron enjoys looking at vintage vehicles, we decided to make a quick visit.

The town is pretty small, and thinking about how crowded the streets must be when the bikers descend upon the community boggled my mind. I kept thinking, where to they park all those bikes! Do the people who live here go on a month long vacation to avoid the crowds? Where do they all camp? It's has to be absolute madness! Just to illustrate how MANY people come for the rally, look at this map! Each pin is for a person who attended the most recent rally. They come from all over the world!




The museum is pretty deceptive. It is on a typical, small town street, has a relatively narrow brick front, and small parking lot. I wasn't expecting much when we pulled up out front but ended up being really surprised. 


The assortment of motorcycles is massive! They have been donated by motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the world. The great state of Texas was well represented. I didn't post nearly half of the pictures I took. Just the ones that had the most bikes per picture. 






While I can't see myself going back, it might actually be a blast to go with David.  He and Deb are planning on going again sometime soon. I'm sure Dave  could offer a lot of insight into the exhibits; and, that would make it even more interesting.  Unfortunately, the crowds will be enough to make me pass up and invitation to go to the rally with him and Deb!

No comments: