Monday, July 23, 2012

Defeat of da feet...

Summer is quickly coming to an end for me.  For the most part, it has been restful and relaxing.  I've spent time in the sewing room, finishing UFO's and getting some quilting done for Mom. I have also been blessed to have spent a lot of time with Ron this summer.  Thankfully, his work related traveling has changed from out of state to in state due to the new job.  He is now working as a process server for Bell and Milam counties.  There are a lot of hours spent driving around country roads, so I go along from time to time just so we can spend time together.  Occasionally, he takes our dog, Buddy, along with him.  We had Maggie's car seat in there on one trip and this is how Buddy used the seat.  He is just thrilled when he gets to go along.  The dog loves Ron so much! 
My goal to make 3 trips to the Temple in Dallas this summer hasn't yet been achieved.  Between stake obligations, family activities, and other less important things, we have only made it up 1 time.  It was a great trip, though.  Leslie and Gerson went with us because Becca and Uncle Eddie kept the girls for them.  We had a wonderful time.
Another time consuming activity that I have unhappily been involved in has been making numerous  trips to the podiatrist.  Several years ago, I developed a heel spur that was treated successfully with injections, alternating hot/cold soaks, physical therapy, and orthotic inserts for my shoes.  For some unknown reason, the blasted thing flared up again this winter.  In addition to the heel spur on my right foot, I developed a Morton's Neuroma in the left foot.  It seemed when one was bothering me, the other one would ease up, but they progressively got worse as the school year went on.  So, as soon as school ended, I told the podiatrist that I wanted to get my feet back to normal over the summer.  We tried the injections, soaks, and medication with no success.  Finally, he said I had several choices:  fix the neuroma and live with the spur, fix the spur and live with the neuroma, don't fix either of them and live with the pain, or fix them both.  I opted for fixing them both.  So, I will have to have surgery before I go back to work.  The doctor said, "I can do them both in a matter of 20-30 minutes.  Easy as can be; you will be in and out in no time. Afterwards, just keep your feet elevated as much as possible."  Several other teachers have had the same procedure done and it sounds like it won't be as quick a recovery as I had hoped it would be.  But, I keep telling myself recovery pain has got to be better than ongoing, endless pain.
So, between now and August 20th, I have to put my classroom together, go through pre-op, make a crazy trip to Ohio to visit Ron's family, come back on the 14th, have surgery on the 16th, and sit through professional development the 20th-24th, and greet the new batch of second graders on the 27th.
 Only 4 years to go until retirement!!!


Kathy said...

When are you going to Ohio??? We would love to have you stop in for a visit.

Amanda said...

The dog in the car seat is too funny! We just got a schnoodle and I always think about Gramdma and Grandpa when I see him. I remember them always having schnauzers.