Friday, June 15, 2012

Each life that touches ours...

June is normally a very happy month; summer vacation begins, we celebrate lots of birthdays, honor our fathers on Father's Day, and spend time swimming, and doing all of the wonderful things that come with summer vacation.  Unfortunately, this year June has had its share of sadness.
On Ron's birthday, we heard that my dear friend Barbara Becker lost her 4 year battle with ovarian cancer.  I have often asked myself if I would have fought as long and as hard as Barbara did.  I don't think I have the tenacity or courage that she had.  While I grieve for her, I am so thankful for the plan of salvation that was made possible because of the atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I believe that Barbara is now at peace, pain free, and eventually we will meet again.
In addition, we lost our sweet adopted dog, Sassy.  We took over care of Sassy from my parents.  She was actually my father's dog; but, he now need to use a walker to get around.  That, coupled with the tubing from his oxygen tank, are enough obstacles in their house for him to deal with.  Sassy just seemed to always be underfoot.  So, we took her in hopes of providing Buddy with a playmate now that my sweet Daisy is gone.  Unfortunately, Sassy developed diabetes and subsequently lost her eyesight. Ron had really become attached to her, and it was heartbreaking to watch him come to the decision to have her put to sleep.  My poor Sugarbear took her to Doc Ray today.  She too, is now pain free, romping around with Daisy, Burgess, Bodo, Jack, Tara, Pepper, Momma Dog, and Charlie.  Oh how bittersweet it is to love those sweet, furry creatures!


Thankfully, while life is wrought with trials and challenges, we find joy in the moments with family and friends.  From picking tomatoes at a friend's garden, canning vegetables to add to our home storage, learning new games, having sleepovers with donuts in the morning, and making funny faces.  
These are the things that fill our hearts with love and joy; enough to soften the sadness and grief. 


picking tomatoes at Mary's garden...

Sophie's American Gothic pose...

Maggie picking with her baseball glove...

jars of spaghetti sauce...

sleepy girls waiting for Poppy to bring them donuts...

learning to make domino trails...

watching them fall..

and doing it over again...

making a domino bridge for fairies to cross...

making silly faces...

more silly faces...

and poor mommy slaving away in the kitchen...

Oma and Buddy aren't much help.
June hasn't come to an end yet; and, we hope to have more happy moments with family and friends.  Knowing those are the things that bring brightness and joy in the darkest times.

No comments: